Friday, November 6, 2009

A Night with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra

Well, Steve was a big romantic. He bought tickets to hear the DSO perform Rachmaninoff''s Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini and Bruckner's 9th symphony. Rachmaninoff is one of my favorite all-time composers and the piece they did last night is one of my favorites. I also really enjoyed listening to the Bruckner piece. Steve bought the tickets a few months ago when he found out about what the DSO would be performing and surprised me with them a couple of days ago. It was nice to be able to go out on a real date with him. We don't get to do it very often, especially since Steve has been going crazy with school and work. Allison and Justin were extremely nice to watch our kids and put them to bed while we were gone and I feel like we owe them big time because I had such an enjoyable night. For those of you who have never been to a live symphony concert (of a decent symphony), I would suggest doing it sometime. The president of the symphony came on stage and talked about how an artist paints on a canvas and a musician "paints" on silence. What they do is really a work of art and I felt so many emotions listening to the music and feeling it course its way through my body. I was really amazed with the pianist they brought in to play the Rhapsody. It always amazes me to see someone with so much talent and the ease at which they play something so complex and so beautiful. Anyone reading this should google Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini and listen to the full piece (not just the one variation, but all of them). The whole piece is so catchy and you'll find yourself humming bits and pieces of it. I am so glad that I get to be so exposed to a world of the finest music and musicians. I can't imagine a life without music; maybe that's what led me to marry a musician.

No comments: